Sunday, January 15, 2012

October 3rd

So this week, I don't have to send in numbers so I have a lot more time to write you today. So, my first two weeks as zone leader have been really great. I have learned a lot about leadership in just a little bit of time. One of the most important things has been to love the people you are working with enough to let them make thier own decisions. I was really tired last week because we, as zone leaders, were trying way to hard to take care of everyone else's sectors, but after a little bit of training from more experienced missionaries and President, we started to take a very different approach to leadership. Yes, we are responsible for the zone but we need to focus primarily on setting a good example, strengthening our sector, then focusing on the district leaders and let them do the same for thier districts. In a zone of 22 missionaries, we can't do it all, but we don't have to.
So I am in really great ward called Bombero Garrido in a city named Curicó. It is hot and it is only spring which means that our summer is going to be an adventure. My comp is named Elder Davis and he is from Arizona. He only has about 6 months in the mission. I am actually not companions which the other Zone Leader which is interesting. HIs name is Elder Miller and is from Washington state and we live in the same house together which is great. I love living with other missionaries. It makes the mission a heck of a lot more interesting.
We have seen a ton of miracles in the our sector in the past few days which has been brilliant. I am now convinced, and the talks from conference affirm, that I have truly been foreordained to work with the people here in Curicó (investigators and missionaries). A woman named Agustina contacted us on the streets the other day and she has been passing through some really tough problems in her life but testifying to her about the Atonement and the Plan of Salvation brought a new light into her eyes and I see hope coming from her and her children. We also have another investigator named Soledad who has shared with missionaries for years but when she met me, she knew I was the missionary she has been waiting for all of this time and she is preparing to be baptized next week. 
I loved conference! So has Mike talked about children yet? There were a few very direct talks about the family and raising children (Sister Dalton calling the fathers to be more virtuous was probably the most direct and pointed talk I've ever heard a Sister give in conference. I was speechless). Also, there were a ton of great talks about missionary work. I loved the talk Elder Holland gave during priesthood. If I wasn't on the mission right now, that talk definetly whould have motived me to shape up and serve. I know you have a few more years to prepare for your mission but please prepare well, starting now if you haven't already. Also, how about those new temples!?!?! Another temple in Provo, the Congo, South Africa, Colombia, Paris... and Star Valley? It was a wonderful conference, one I don't think I will ever forget. We actually were having some techinical problems with the satilite so we watch conference in the family history center of the Stake center with 12 grinfos huddled around a single computer monitor to watch conference in english. That is something I wont forget... ever! I love the mission, even with all of its challenges, it is so good for everyone involved.
So I love you all a ton and really hope that everything goes well with everything you have to do. Mom good luck with the Halloween party. Hopefully everything turns out well with the house and that everything goes well for you in all that you are doing.
I love you all a lot and hope this letter finds you well.
Love ,
Elder McNeil

No comments:

Post a Comment