Tuesday, April 15, 2014

New Beginnings?

Hello World!

For those who don't know me, I am Topher McNeil. Some people call me Chris, fewer call me CJ, but I hope that many of you consider me a friend. A few years ago, I set up this blog named "The Chronicles of Toph" right before I left on my two year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in ConcepciĆ³n, Chile. It was an incredible experience that I loved and cherished. After I returned from Chile in July 2012, I forgot that this blog even existed. In all honesty, I feel really guilty because two whole years of my life are chronicled right here but have been left completely untouched for way too long. I think what is inspiring me to write again is the name "The Chronicles of Toph". I feel like I currently have a chapter of my life documented here but I think it is about time that I add to this chapter. So where do I begin...


So I still try to see my mission friend as often as I can, which I admit has been way harder than I thought it would be. I love these guys so much, but life happens. 

Right after I returned from Chile, I decided to change my major at Brigham Young University from physiology to Food Science. That is easily the best decision I've made in these past two years. In my major, I have participated in a lot of really fun events, including product development competitions, working in a research lab, TAing for the Essentials of Food Science lab, College Bowl competitions, etc. It has been a wild and crazy experience but I can't wait to do it all again next year.

I also made the wonderful decision of living with some of my best friends. Life has thrown the most incredible people in my life and I cherish every one of them. Occasionally, things get rough but I know that I will always be loved by my friends.

I have kept up the BYU Cougar Marching Band, playing trombone and being a member of the logistics committee. It has been wonderful and it makes me incredibly sad that next year will be my last as a part of the band.

I don't think I can really fit two whole years of my life into one post but understand that they have been wonderful. I went from no nieces and nephew when I left for Chile, and now I have the incredible experience of being an uncle to 3 nephews and my niece who I am really excited to meet when I get back from my adventures this summer. I have also spent a lot of time discovering who I am as a person. I am so glad that I know who I am and what I stand for. I would never want to be anyone, or anything other than the person I am today.

I have been blessed with the amazing opportunity to do an internship in Malawi this summer and I am preparing myself to leave for it. It is going to be a great experience and I know I'll learn a lot. I'll keep you all posted on all my adventures. I mainly just need to survive my finals but then it is off to Paris with my family, then 3 months in Malawi. I couldn't be more excited!

If you are reading this, know that I am going to throw in a lot of humor and this will be a fun blog to read. This post may have been a little dry, but if you know me, you know that that isn't what you should expect from here on out.

Toph



No comments:

Post a Comment